Jean Little First-Novel Award
Established in 2021, the Jean Little First-Novel Award is intended to recognize the achievements of a first-time Canadian children’s middle-grade novelist. For the purposes of this award, “middles grades” are defined as typically grades 3-7/ages 8-12.
After the beloved Jean Little died in April 2020, Sarah Ellis, Kit Pearson and Maggie de Vries came up with the idea of establishing an award in Jean’s name. “We decided that the most appropriate honour would be a prize for a Canadian middle- grade novel by a first-time writer. Much of Jean’s writing was for the middle grades, and Jean was always an enthusiastic supporter of beginning writers. This award would honour her long and successful career and encourage the next generation of writers following in her footsteps.”
To contribute to the Jean Little First-Novel Award fund, click here.
Criteria and Submission Information
In identifying the achievements of a first-time Canadian children’s novelist, each judge shall consider the following criteria for excellence:
- Quality of the text or storyline.
- Interpretation of the theme or concept. Presentation of information including accuracy, clarity and organization.
- Appropriateness of style and presentation. Books should have distinguished qualities in all of the elements pertinent to them, such as interpretation of theme and concept.
- Books must be self-contained and not dependent on other media for their enjoyment.
- Books should have been written for a child audience and should achieve excellence of presentation.
- Each book is to be considered as a contribution to literature.
- Books must be written by first-time authors of novels for a middle-grade reading audience. Only authors who have not previously published a book are eligible for consideration
- Books must be published between January 1 and December 31, 2020.
- Books may be published in Canada or abroad.
- Books must be first foreign or first Canadian editions. New editions or re-issues of previously published titles are not eligible for submission.
- For the purposes of this award, “middles grades” are defined as typically grades 3-7/ages 8-12.
- Author and illustrator (in the case of graphic novels) must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Books must be in English
- Translations are eligible, provided the translator is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Graphic novels are eligible. If a graphic novel wins, the author and illustrator will share the award
- Picture books are not eligible.
- Stories must be original: while stories inspired by classic works such as fairy tales are permissible, retellings of original stories are not.
- The award is only for books in the printed format, as distinct from digital (i.e., eBooks) and audio-visual formats.
- Books in manuscript form are not eligible.
- All books must have an ISBN and be distributed in Canada.
- Self-published books are eligible for submission provided they have a valid ISBN.
Publisher and creator expectations prior to submission:
- Publishers agree to pay the $25 non-refundable submission fee per title per award.
- If a book is shortlisted, the publisher, author and illustrator may be asked to participate in a series of events highlighting and promoting the shortlisted author and illustrator, in addition to the award celebration.
- The CCBC is unable to assume the costs for travel and accommodation. It is our hope that publishers will assist the award winner(s) with providing the resources for attending the in-person awards ceremony (should we be able to hold an in-person event) or for creating an acceptance speech video of appropriate quality should the creator(s) be unable to attend an in-person event.
- Publishers agree to prepare and encourage their authors and illustrators to participate in all reasonable publicity associated with the award: interviews, readings, appearances, etc.
- Publishers agree to spend an appropriate sum on media advertising the winning book (i.e., whatever your advertising budget allows).
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 1, 2021
There is a $25 non-refundable fee for each title submitted to each of the CCBC book awards. Therefore, if, for example, you have a title that is eligible for three of the awards and you would like it considered for all three awards, the submission fee for that particular title is $75 ($25 x 3). The fees will be used to offset administration costs, as well as costs associated with the presentation of the awards.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
You are required to complete a title submission form for each title being submitted. The forms are available in two formats — PDF and Word). Please email the completed form(s) to email@example.com, along with a final PDF of each title* by the March 1, 2021 deadline. If you are paying the submission fee(s) by cheque or credit card, please email the completed submission fee form as well. Upon receipt of the completed form(s), you will be sent instructions for where to send the physical books, as well as the quantity required. Please do not send them to the CCBC’s main office. Our office is closed during the pandemic.
* With the current COVID-19 pandemic, we are requesting that PDFs of final titles be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org when title submission forms are submitted. The PDFs are not to replace the physical books. They are to be used in the event that publishers are experiencing any disruptions/delays with their distribution channels because of COVID-19.
If you have any questions regarding eligibility or the award in general, please contact Meghan Howe at 416.975.0010 ext. 3 or email@example.com.