In July, the following 20 authors and their books were announced by the Reading Lights initiative to receive plaques in the Vancouver area. Reading Lights celebrates the work of British Columbia’s children’s book authors and illustrators by featuring excerpts of books and illustrations on lamp posts across Vancouver, near parks, playgrounds, schools and libraries.
- Eat, Leo! Eat! by Caroline Adderson and Josée Bisaillon
- The Yoga Game by the Sea by Kathy Beliveau and Denise Holmes
- Big City Bees by Maggie de Vries and Renné Benoit
- Ben Says Good Bye by Sarah Ellis and Kim La Fave
- Kendra Kandlestar and the Box of Whispers by Lee Edward Födi
- Mermaids by Cynthia Heinrichs and Jumin Lee
- Chitchat by Jude Isabella and Kathy Boake
- Brave Highland Heart by Heather Kellerhalls-Stewart and Werner Zimmermann
- Peace is an Offering by Annette LeBox and Stephanie Graegin
- A Boy Asked the Wind by Barbara Nickel and Gillian Newland
- Follow That Map! by Scot Ritchie
- Mister Got to Go, Where Are You? by Lois Simmie and Cynthia Nugent
- Small Saul by Ashley Spires
- Stop, Thief! by Heather Tekavec and Pierre Pratt
- Hana Hashimoto, Sixth Violin by Chieri Uegaki and Qin Leng
- No Pets Allowed by Irene Watts and Kathryn Shoemaker
- Hungry for Math by Kari-Lynn Winters, Lori Sherritt-Fleming and Peggy Collins
- Maggie’s Chopsticks by Alan Woo and Isabelle Malenfant
- Jewish Fairy Tale Feasts by Jane Yolen, Heidi E.Y. Stemple and Sima Elizabeth Shefrin
- Boy Meets Dog by Valerie Wyatt and Dave Whamond
Reading Lights is a collaborative project of Vancouver Public Library and the Children’s Writers and Illustrators of B.C. Society. Explore this interactive map to discover the locations of each plaque.
Congratulations to all!