The Word On The Street, Canada’s largest book and magazine festival, is coming up later this month. This year, TD KidStreet, sponsored by TD Bank Group will feature a fantastic blend of children’s author programming and family-friendly activities including TVOKids LIVE!, the TD Children’s Literature Tent, the Children’s Activity Tent in Purina PawsWay, and the TD Interactive Storybook. Visit TD KidStreet at the festival’s new Harbourfront Centre location Sunday, September 27th.
“We’re excited to share a love of reading with readers of all ages,” said Alan Convery, Director, Community Relations, TD. “TD is committed to promoting children’s literacy – and this festival helps inspire children and families to get excited and discover the fun in reading.”
Venues and attractions at TD KidStreet:
- TVOKids LIVE! Kids and families can enjoy a full day of performances, making time for a rhyme with Gisèle and Polkaroo and singing and dancing with The Reading Rangers. Families can enjoy musical guests including newchoir and The Samba Squad, hang out with kindergarten superstar Opie from Hi Opie! (marblemedia), join the robot nation with the stars of Annedroids (Sinking Ship Entertainment), get in on the math mayhem with the cast and creator of Odd Squad (Sinking Ship Entertainment) and check out a cool experiment with the host of new TVOKids series Science Max (Breakthrough Entertainment).
- The TD Children’s Literature Tent will feature much-loved authors Dennis Lee, Barbara Reid, Kyo Maclear, Andrew Larsen, Nicola Winstanley and more! CBC will present the shortlist for the 2015 TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award, and readings from the nominated books. Middle-grade fiction highlights include Kevin Sylvester, Frieda Wishinsky and Kevin Sands.
- Receive a free copy of Zinger’s Hat by author Cary Fagan. This book is this year’s TD Grade One Book Giveaway which will be given to every Canadian grade one student this fall and which is presented by the Canadian Children’s Book Centre at this year’s festival.
- Sharpen your pencils and head to the Children’s Activity Tent in Purina PawsWay for cartooning with Evan Munday, and a lesson on storytelling and illustrating with JonArno Lawson and Sydney Smith. Imagine the places you could travel with Kellen Hatanka, author of Drive. Join Etta Kaner to learn about wild animals, and explore the zoo in your own backyard with Nancy Rose and The Secret Life of Squirrels. Create a dinosaur collage with Stacey Rodrick, and craft your own fun shape characters with Tania Howells.
- Other exciting activities happening around TD KidStreet this year include the TD Interactive Storybook, where attendees can get their picture taken for free inside a giant, 12-foot storybook. Bake a tasty treat with Chirp Magazine at the Cooks ‘n’ Books Stage, and hear teen voices at the Youth Launchpad.
- Be sure to visit TD KidStreet’s indoor and outdoor Exhibitor Marketplace, filled with amazing authors, books, publishers and kid-friendly organizations, including Annick Press, Fitzhenry & Whiteside, Mabel’s Fables Bookstore, Scholastic Canada, and the Children’s Book Bank. To find out more about organizations in the Marketplace, click here.
Select programming segments will include ASL interpretation. For more details about TD KidStreet programming, families can pick up a TD KidStreet Festival Guide in Toronto bookstores and select downtown Starbucks locations, and at any of The Word On The Street’s Information booths on festival day, Sunday, September 27th. The guide is designed and produced by Owlkids, publisher of Chirp, ChickaDEE and OWL Magazine. The WEBview, digital edition of the guide will be available on The Word On The Street’s website in September.
For more information, visit www.thewordonthestreet.ca.