The Insider’s Guide to Publishing is an intensive workshop for authors who want to know how to get published, how to promote themselves and how to understand the publishing process.
“I was a student in ‘The Insider’s Guide to Getting Published’ course a few years back, which I found extremely valuable and instrumental in helping me secure my first book contract. My first novel, Flight, was published last year.” – Darren Hynes
Find out about
- what’s happening in Canadian publishing today and what it means for you
- the implications of digital technology on books and writers
- the pros and cons of self-publishing, both p-books and e-books
- how to prepare query letters and book proposals that get results
- how to build your author profile and increase your sales
- effective use of social media
- how to market your book
- the basics of the financial arrangements and publishing agreements
Learn from the pros
Workshop leader Cynthia Good is the former president and publisher of Penguin Canada and current director of Humber’s Creative Book Publishing program. Jennifer Murray, Porch Light Consulting, has been the director of marketing at Penguin and vice-president of marketing at Kids Can Press.
The workshop is being offered in Room 1017, Building L at Humber College’s Lakeshore Campus, located in Etobicoke on Lake Shore Boulevard West at the foot of Kipling Avenue. Coffee and registration are at 9:15 a.m. Workshops run from 9:30am to 4:00pm.
416-675-6622, ext. 3462 | firstname.lastname@example.org
To register online: A Humber student number & Visa or Mastercard are required. New students phone 416-675-5005 to receive your permanent Humber student number and then go to: www.humber.ca/continuingeducation/courses. Select “View by Field of Study” and then scroll to bottom of course listing and choose the Creative Writing link to course CBPP 027.
To register by phone: Registration Centre – 416-675-5005
NOTE: IF YOU CANNOT MAKE THE NOVEMBER WORKSHOP, THE NEXT INSIDER’S GUIDE WILL BE JULY 16 & 17, 2012