Applying for the Creator-in-Residence Position
CANSCAIP Creator-in-Residence Position – Author and/or Illustrator
January 15, 2013 – May 15, 2013
Remuneration: $2500, plus HST (if applicable)
CANSCAIP invites applications from Canadian authors and/or illustrators for the new Creator-in-Residence position. The residency is designed to encourage exchanges between the creator and the CANSCAIP community across Canada, and to foster mentorship of new and emerging authors and illustrators. It requires the completion of:
- twelve Creator-in-Residence Blue Pencil Mentorships (maximum of 10 manuscript pages or illustrations submitted for each) within the genre of his or her craft. See www.canscaip.org/Mentorship for information about the mentorship program. (Note: The Creator-in-Residence Blue Pencil Mentorships do not replace the current Blue Pencil Mentorship program. Mentorships are always available through the regular program in any genre.)
- two original articles to be published in the CANSCAIP NEWS and on the CANSCAIP website about his or her craft (articles will be 1500 to 2000 words).
The Creator-in-Residence will retain copyright of the articles. The Creator-in-Residence can operate remotely, connecting with CANSCAIP’s Administrative Director and the Executive by email, phone, Skype, etc. No in-person meetings are required. He or she must be available by both phone and email during the residency period.
The Creator-in-Residence must be:
- a current professional Member of CANSCAIP in good standing.
- a Canadian citizen and a permanent resident of Canada.
a professionally recognized author and/or illustrator currently working in his or her field with at least three published works in that field published by a professional publishing house.
He or she should:
- have experience in mentoring or teaching creative writing and/or illustrating.
- understand the needs of aspiring creators.
- have experience critiquing new and emerging creators.
- have experience delivering content for new and emerging creators.
- be able to work effectively with creators from diverse communities and cultures.
Applications must include:
- a curriculum vitae or résumé, including a list of publications, a summary of relevant experience and suggestions for articles.
- two letters of reference.
- the craft(s) and genre(s) in which he or she would prefer to mentor. (See www.canscaip.org/Mentorship for details.)
Application deadline is October 15, 2012. Send applications to email@example.com.
Applying to be Mentored
Applications to be mentored by the Creator-in-Residence through one of the twelve Creator-in-Residence Blue Pencil Mentorships will begin in November 2012. Details to come.