The Canadian Science Writers’ Association offers two $1,000 annual book awards to honour outstanding contributions to science writing. One is intended for and available to children/middle grades ages 8-12 years, and the second is intended for and available to the general public. Competitors must be Canadian citizens or residents of Canada, but need not be members of the CSWA. Entries, in either French or English, must have been published in Canada during the 2012 calendar year. The winners will be announced during Canada Book Week in April 2013 and presentations will take place at the CSWA Awards Banquet in May 2013.
- Entries my deal with aspects of basic or applied science or technology, historical or current, in any area including health, social or environmental issues, regulatory trends etc.
- Books will be judges on literary excellence and scientific content and accuracy. Specific judging criteria will include initiative, originality, clarity of interpretation and value in promoting greater understanding of science by the general reader.
- Books must be understandable to the layperson or children, with appropriate clarification of medical and scientific terminology, and an orderly marshalling of facts.
Also the subject matter should be significant and relevant for the majority of the public or children, and so presented that it increases public awareness.
Rules for Submissions
- Include a fully completed entry form with each submission, entry forms are available on the CSWA’s website
- Submit a brief CV & biography of the author(s)
- six (6) copies are required for judging purposes
- Entry must have been published in Canada during the 2012 calendar year
- Entries should be received by Dec 3, 2012
- Entries failing to comply with these rules will be rejected. For more information please phone the CSWA office at 1-800-796-8595, or email email@example.com
- All entries become the property of the CSWA
For more information, please contact the CSWA office at 1-800-796-8595 or firstname.lastname@example.org