SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 31, 2023
The Canadian Children’s Book Centre (CCBC) is now accepting submissions for the fall 2023 edition of Best Books for Kids & Teens (BBKT), the CCBC’s semi-annual selection guide to the best Canadian children’s books, magazines, audio and video.
When is the deadline?
The deadline to submit is March 31, 2023
What books and resources are eligible?
For the fall 2023 edition of Best Books for Kids & Teens (BBKT), normally our committees would only be evaluating books/resources published between January 1, 2023 and June 30, 2023. However, due to the ongoing supply chain issues, if publishers have books/resources published during the second half of 2022 that they were unable to submit to the spring 2023 edition, we will accept them now. Therefore, for the fall 2023 edition, our committees will be reviewing books/resources published between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023. Please refer to the Eligibility Criteria for further information.
What do I need to submit?
- Please submit a completed title submission form for ALL titles you plan on submitting. The form(s) can be completed online (see links below).
- Upon completion of the online submission form(s), please email the PDF(s) of each title or issue (in the case of magazines) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt of the form(s) and PDF(s), you will be sent instructions on where to send the physical resources. Please do not send them to the CCBC’s main office.
- The quantity of books/resources as indicated on each title submission form to the addresses provided in the subsequent email you will receive from the CCBC. Please note: Materials submitted will not be returned, including titles that are not selected for inclusion.
How can I submit books published after March 31, 2023?
Books published after March 31 can be submitted the following way:
- Complete the online title submission form(s) by March 31, 2023. For books and magazines, please email final the PDF(s) of each title or issue (in the case of magazines) to email@example.com.
- Follow up with physical copies of the books/resources when they become available. Again, once the CCBC has received your form(s) and PDF(s), you will be sent instructions on where to send the physical resources.
Title Submission Forms (click on the hyperlinks below)
BBKT Title Submission Form – Book
BBKT Title Submission Form – Magazine
BBKT Title Submission Form – Audio
BBKT Title Submission Form – Video
Where will my books and resources go?
All submissions are:
- sent to Best Books for Kids & Teens committee members for review.
- sent to the Best Books for Kids & Teens annotation writer.
- sent to our regional library collections in Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto and Hamilton.
Please email PDFs or links to the catalogue(s) that corresponds with the above publication dates. If you act as a distributor for foreign publishers (e.g., US, UK, etc.), please check their catalogues to see if they have any eligible titles by Canadian authors and/or Canadian illustrators.
Books published by non-Canadian publishing houses are eligible, provided the author or illustrator is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada (minimum two-year residency).
Important note regarding eBooks
Currently, the CCBC is not evaluating eBooks that are not also available in print format. Only books in print format will be evaluated; our juries will not be reading eBook versions.* However, if your print books are also available in eBook format, please be sure to include the ISBN and pricing for the electronic format on the title submission form. For titles that are selected, we will indicate that an eBook version is available in the listing.
* With the ongoing supply chain issues, we are requesting that PDFs of final titles (for books and magazines) be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org upon completion of the online title submission form(s). The PDFs do not replace the physical books. They are to be used in the event that publishers are experiencing any disruptions/delays with their supply and distribution channels.
If you have any questions, please contact Meghan Howe at email@example.com.