Deadline extended to October 24!
The Picturebook Gallery features artwork created by award-winning Canadian children’s book illustrators.
In November 2021, the Canadian Children’s Book Centre (CCBC) launched this virtual art gallery as a means to generate funds to support Canadian Children’s Book Week.
Illustrators who sell work through the Picturebook Gallery generously donate 60% of the value of their art sold to support Book Week.
This event, founded in 1977, is Canada’s largest children’s literature festival. During Book Week, illustrators, authors, and storytellers visit schools and libraries where they connect with youth through readings and workshops.
The CCBC is expanding The Picturebook Gallery and now seeking applications from Canadian children’s book illustrators.
Illustrators, who wish to be considered for inclusion in The Picturebook Gallery, must be:
- Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents who have published artwork suitable for children
(Illustrators who are selected to participate in the gallery will be required to produce one of the following documents: Canadian passport, Canadian birth certificate or Canadian residency documentation).
- a member of the Canadian Children’s Book Centre
Deadline for submission
October 24th, 2022 at 11:59 pm EDT
Materials and information to be submitted
Artwork for the gallery will be selected by a jury. You are to submit the following items and information to email@example.com:
- Digital scans of five (5) pieces of art. The illustrations need not have been published in book format, but they must be suitable for a children’s book. Physical art or prints of digital art are welcome.
- Digital scans must be in JPEG format and be around 1000-1200 pixels wide. You may insert a copyright symbol at the bottom right-hand corner of each photo if you wish.
- Illustrations must be complete without any white space or text gaps.
- Please label each photo with the book title/illustration title as appropriate.
- Say a few words about each book (if applicable). Is it an award-winning book? Is there something you can say about the art?
- For each piece, you are required to indicate the following details:
- Size of the piece in cm
– Approximate weight of the piece
– Is it signed or unsigned?
– Is it framed or unframed?
– Proposed price
- A bio (100 words maximum), headshot, and a link to your website
- Your email address most often used
- Your phone number
By agreeing to participate in the gallery, the selected illustrator agrees to contribute sixty (60) % of the price placed on each piece of art to the CCBC. The illustrator will receive forty (40) % of the price of the art after providing the CCBC with an invoice in an approved form. The illustrator will also be responsible for packing and shipping the artwork to the purchaser. Mailing costs will be reimbursed.
For those illustrators selected by the jury to participate in The Picturebook Gallery, the five pieces of art submitted during the application process will be uploaded to the gallery in November 2022 together with the prices you have set for your work along with your bio.
When a piece of art is sold, the purchase is processed through the CCBC’s Shopify account which will apply the applicable taxes based on the province where the art is being shipped.
Once a piece of art is sold, the CCBC will provide the illustrator with a mailing label and the email address of the purchaser. It is the responsibility of the illustrator to expeditiously pack and mail the piece to the purchaser.
After shipment and receipt of the art by the purchaser, the illustrator sends the CCBC an invoice in which they bill for the full price of the art and deduct the 60% donation to the CCBC. Mailing costs will be reimbursed. The artist must include copies of all shipping and packaging receipts with their invoice, for reimbursement. A sample invoice is available from the CCBC on request.
Taxes and Duties
The purchaser is responsible for payment of all taxes, import duties and customs. If you are registered to collect sales tax, you should include your tax number on your invoice, and apply tax to your forty (40) %. A sample invoice is available from the CCBC on request.
The Picturebook Gallery contains a notification that images on the site are copyrighted by their creators and shall not be copied, reproduced or used in any way without the express written consent of the creator.
The Picturebook Gallery is in affiliation with the Canadian Children’s Book Centre (CCBC), a national, not-for-profit organization founded in 1976. The CCBC is dedicated to encouraging, promoting, and supporting the reading, writing, illustrating and publishing of Canadian books for young readers. Our programs, publications and resources help teachers, librarians, booksellers and parents select the very best for young readers.
Please direct any questions regarding this call for submissions to:
Carol-Ann Hoyte, Program and Events Coordinator
The Canadian Children’s Book Centre
Tel: 416-975-0010 ext 4