The West Coast Book Society has announced the titles nominated for the 34th Annual BC Book Prizes. The winners will be announced at the Lieutenant Governor’s BC Book Prizes Gala on Friday, May 4, 2018 at the Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront in Vancouver. Tickets are available now.
Christie Harris Illustrated Children’s Literature Prize presented to the best illustrated book written for children:
- Nicola Campbell, illustrated by Julie Flett, A Day with Yayah (Tradewind Books)
- Faith Erin Hicks, The Nameless City: The Stone Heart (First Second)
- Stephen Hume, illustrated by Jessica Bromley Bartram, Charles (Fitzhenry & Whiteside)
- Ian McAllister and Nicholas Read, Wolf Island (Orca Book Publishers)
- Bill Richardson, illustrated by Roxanna Bikadoroff, The Alphabet Thief (Groundwood Books)
Sheila A. Egoff Children’s Literature Prize awarded to the best non-illustrated book written for children:
- Julie Burtinshaw, Saying Good-bye to London (Second Story Press)
- Norma Charles, Runner: Harry Jerome, World’s Fastest Man (Red Deer Press)
- Anne Fleming, The Goat (Groundwood Books)
- Kallie George, Heartwood Hotel Book 1: A True Home (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.)
- G. S. Prendergast, Zero Repeat Forever (Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers)
Hello Humpback! by Roy Henry Vickers and Robert Budd (Harbour Publishing) was also nominated for the Bill Duthie Booksellers’ Choice Award, which will be presented to the originating publisher and author(s) of the best book in terms of public appeal, initiative, design, production, and content.
A selection of the nominated authors will be apart of the BC Book Prizes on Tour, visiting schools and libraries in several BC communities throughout April and May. More information will be available soon.
To find out more about the BC Book Prize and the nominated titles, click here.