The Association of Jewish Libraries is now accepting titles to be considered for the 2017 Sydney Taylor Book Award. This prize, named for the author of the beloved All-of-a-Kind Family series, recognizes the best in children’s and teen literature of Jewish content. Children’s and teen books that meet these criteria are eligible:
- The book has a 2016 copyright.
- The book has literary merit.
- The book has positive or authentic Jewish religious or cultural content.
- The book is appropriate for the intended grade level in style, vocabulary, format, and illustration.
- Whether fiction or nonfiction, the book is solidly rooted in authentic and accurate detail through scholarship and research by the author.
- Textbooks and reprints are not eligible, although revised editions and re-illustrated editions are eligible.
In order to be considered for the award, a review copy must be sent to each of the nine members of the Sydney Taylor Book Award Committee. No application form is necessary. Review copies must be received no later than November 30, 2016. The awards will be announced in January, 2017.