The Canadian Children’s Book Centre will be at the INSPIRE! Toronto International Book Fair on November 13-16. Come visit us at our booth (#105) or attend one of our panels and showcases:
How a Picture Book is Made
Sunday, November 16 • Discovery Stage • 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm
Have you ever wondered how a picture book evolves from an idea to a beautifully illustrated piece of literature? Join author/illustrator Ian Wallace, author Kyo Maclear, editor Kathryn Cole and designer Michael Solomon as they discuss and explain this fascinating process with moderator Professor Larry Swartz (OISE).
Young Adult Literature & Amy’s Marathon of Books
Sunday, November 16 • Spark Stage • 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Amy Mathers is reading her way across Canada to raise funds for an award for authors of Canadian YA literature. Join Amy, authors Sylvia McNicoll and Teresa Toten, children’s book editor Hadley Dyer (HarperCollins Canada) and moderator/author Kevin Sylvester as they discuss current trends in YA literature.
Read to Remember
Friday, November 14 • TD Children’s Stage • 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm
With 2014 being the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I, Gillian O’Reilly will moderate a panel discussion with authors Hugh Brewster, Deborah Ellis and Linda Granfield about their books on war and the importance of writing for children on this particular topic.
TD Grade One Book Giveaway
Friday, November 14 • TD Children’s Stage • 1:30 am to 2:00 pm
Saturday, November 15 • TD Children’s Stage • 11:30 am to 12:00 pm
TD Bank Group and the Canadian Children’s Book Centre are proud to present author David Weale and illustrator Pierre Pratt of Doors in the Air, this year’s selection for the TD Grade One Book Giveaway Program. Be sure to get your copy and have it signed by the author and illustrator following the reading at the CCBC booth (#105).
CCBC Award Winners 2014 Showcase
Sunday, November 16 • TD Children’s Stage • 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm
The following CCBC award winners will do readings, take questions and then sign books:
- Kathy Stinson and Dušan Petričić, winners of TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award for The Man with the Violin
- Julie Morstad, winner of the Marilyn Baillie Picture Book Award for How To
- Rona Arato, winner of the Norma Fleck Award for Canadian Children’s Non-Fiction for The Last Train: A Holocaust Story
- Karen Bass, winner of the Geoffrey Bilson Award for Historical Fiction for Young People for Graffiti Knight
- Joel Sutherland will present Ted Staunton’s Who I’m Not, winner of the John Spray Mystery Award
- Erin Bow, winner of the Monica Hughes Award for Science Fiction and Fantasy for Sorrow’s Knot
TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award Winner and Finalists Showcase
Friday, November 14 • TD Children’s Stage • 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm
Saturday, November 15 • TD Children’s Stage • 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Meet the winner and the finalists of the five children’s books that were shortlisted for the 2014 TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award. They will do brief readings from their books and then take questions from the audience. Authors and illustrators will be available to sign their books following this session in the book signing area. The shortlisted books are:
- The Man with the Violin by Kathy Stinson and Dušan Petričić
- Branded by the Pink Triangle by Ken Setterington
- In the Tree House by Andrew Larsen and Dušan Petričić
- Once Upon a Northern Night by Jean E. Pendziwol
- The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toten
Tickets are on sale now at www.torontobookfair.ca. We hope to see you there!