Our friends at IBBY Canada are inviting publishers across Canada to submit picture books for the annual Elizabeth Mrazik-Cleaver Canadian Picture Book Award / Le Prix Elizabeth Mrazik-Cleaver pour le meilleur livre d’images Canadien (the Cleaver Award).
The Cleaver Award is given annually in recognition of outstanding artistic talent in a Canadian picture book. The recipient receives a cheque for $1,000 dollars and a certificate. An award ceremony to celebrate the winner is held each year.
The Cleaver Award is administered by a committee of three members of the Canadian section of the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY Canada). The committee members for the 2016 award are: Allison Taylor-McBryde (Chair), Lyne Rajotte, and Camilia Kahrizi.
Please keep in mind these terms when submitting your book(s):
- The recipient of the Cleaver Award is a Canadian illustrator of a picture book published in Canada in English or French between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2016.
- The book must be a first edition and contain original illustrations by a Canadian artist (either a citizen or permanent resident).
- All genres are considered: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and folk and fairy tales.
- If a book has been submitted in previous years, even if it was submitted in a different language, the book will not be eligible for consideration.
- There is a $20 fee for each title submitted to the Cleaver Award. A copy of each submitted title is mailed by the publisher to each of the three committee members. If you are submitting two titles for consideration, you will mail two copies to each of the three jury members and a cheque for $40 to IBBY Canada’s head office. The fee is non-refundable, even if your submission is determined to be ineligible, so please read the submission guidelines carefully. This fee will be used to offset administration costs as well as costs associated with the presentation of the award.
- Please send a cheque made out to “IBBY Canada” with “Cleaver Award fee” on the memo line to:
IBBY Canada c/o The Canadian Children‘s Book Centre
217-40 Orchard View Blvd.
The deadline for cheques to IBBY is December 1, 2016. Deadline for mailings to jurors is December 15, 2016.
Please contact Allison Taylor McBryde for the addresses of the committee members.