The Writers’ Union of Canada is pleased to announce that submissions are being accepted until April 24, 2009, for the 2008 WRITING FOR CHILDREN COMPETITION. The winning entry will be the best Canadian children’s story of 1,500 words in the English language, written by an unpublished author.
$1,500 for the winning entry and the entries of the winner and finalists will be submitted to three Canadian children’s publishers.
We are proud to announce that Norma Charles, Kathy-Diane Leveille, and Eric Walters will serve as the jury.
This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and landed immigrants who have not had a book published by a commercial or university press in any genre and who do not have a contract with a book publisher. Original and unpublished (English language) fiction or nonfiction.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES:
Entries should be typed, double-spaced, and numbered on 8.5 x 11 paper, not stapled.
- E-mailed or faxed submissions will not be accepted.
- Include a separate cover letter with title of story, full name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and number of pages of entry.
- Please type the name of entrant and the title of entry on each numbered page. This is not a blind competition.
- Make cheque or money order payable to The Writers’ Union of Canada. Multiple entries can be submitted together and fees can be added and paid with one cheque or money order, $15 per submission.
- Entries must be postmarked by APRIL 24, 2009 to be eligible.
- Mail entries to: WFC Competition, The Writers’ Union of Canada , 90 Richmond Street East, Suite 200 , Toronto , ON M5C 1P1.
Results will be posted at www.writersunion.ca. Manuscripts will not be returned.